May 17, 2018
When you are suffering from neck and back pain, the only thing you really care about is getting relief. Many people who deal with severe neck pain or other types of chronic pain often turn to medical intervention, which most often takes the form of pain pills of some sort. For neck pain treatments in Jacksonville and the surrounding areas, these are commonly prescribed and are often helpful for relieving pain symptoms. The danger is that many synthetic drugs have potentially dangerous and harmful side effects, and many also are easy to become addicted to. This is why powerful pain medications, like narcotics, are so closely monitored and regulated in the medical field and why many doctors try other options before pulling out the heavy guns.
Alternatives for Neck Pain Treatments
Fortunately, there are other things that can be done to help reduce and eliminate neck pain that are safer for the patient both in the short-term and long-term:
- Hot and cold- alternating hot and cold compresses on the neck can help relax stiff and sore muscles and sooth the aches and pains and dull the nerves temporarily so they hurt less.
- Gentle exercises- for severe injuries affecting the bones and the spinal cord limiting movement is important but for most minor issues gentle exercise, rather than immobilization, is best.
- Massages- getting a massage from a trained medical professional can help loosen muscles and soothe nerves so they are not irritated as much and it can help speed up healing as well.
- Acupuncture- though it is still considered folk medication by some, there are studies that show acupuncture can help relieve pain and can help soothe pain receptors throughout the body.
- Natural supplements- many vitamins, minerals, herbs, and essential oils can help strengthen the body and relieve pain, often without a lot of the nasty side effects of modern medication.
- Medical treatments- in severe cases medical intervention may be needed, especially when the underlying cause is a disease or illness that needs to be dealt with first.
- Surgery- when all else fails or when the injury is so severe there is no time to try other options, surgery may be needed to prevent further damage to the spine and the rest of the body.
For those living with pain and who are in need of neck pain treatments, Jacksonville has the best option around- Riverside Pain Physicians! Give us a call today to set up your consultation appointment!